Learn more about pest animals, their impact, history, biology and control methods as well as discussions on social issues and animal welfare. Here you can explore articles and reference material including our research database of over 8,000 scientific research papers, maps of pest animal distribution, images and case studies.
- Carp herpesvirus: Frequently asked questions - The proposed release of a carp herpesvirus has raised many questions from the public around how it will work, will it work and what will happen with all the dead […]
- Australian Pest Animal Research Program (APARP) - The Australian Pest Animal Research Program (APARP) 2008-2012 was funded by the Australian Government and was concluded in June 2013. APARP funded research projects that developed and promoted improved management and monitoring of agricultural pest animals. Project reports are available from this page.
- Principles of pest animal management - There are seven key principles that form the basis of the strategic approach
- Rabbit biocontrol in Australia: key facts - Key facts about the history of rabbits and rabbit biocontrol in Australia
- Public attitudes to current and proposed forms of pest animal control - Review of public attitudes towards current and proposed forms of control for invasive animals
- Assessing the social impact of invasive animals in Australia - Research to identify, understand, and possibly quantify the social impacts of invasive animals
- Behaviourally Effective Communications for Invasive Animals Management: A Practical Guide - This guide outlines a systematic approach for developing and evaluating content-driven communication strategies related to invasive animals
- The economic impacts of vertebrate pests in Australia. - Invasive animal pests have a wide variety of impacts on the economy, the environment and society. There is considerable information on these impacts for individual cases and regions, and McLeod […]
- Counting the cost: impact of invasive animals in Australia, 2004 - Feral animals cost Australia in excess of $720 million per year. They cause catastrophic damage and threaten our landscape, agriculture and industries. This report estimates the economic, environmental and social […]
- Principles Underpinning Best Practice Management of the Damage Due to Pests in Australia - Principles contained in the 1993 publication “Managing Vertebrate Pests: Principles & Strategies” were developed during a review of past and current pest management practices. They were used to guide the […]
- CABI: Invasive Species Compendium - Online encyclopaedic resource that draws together scientific information on all aspects of invasive species (plant and animal) worldwide
- Eradications of vertebrate pests in Australia - A review and guidelines for future best practice
- Guidelines for the Import, Movement and Keeping of Non-indigenous Vertebrates in Australia - National approach to minimise the risks posed by the importation movement and keeping of exotic vertebrates
- Detecting and preventing new incursions of exotic animals in Australia - Incursions and interceptions of exotic vertebrates in Australia that have occurred within the country and at the national border, over the past 10 years
- Australia’s Pest Animals: New Solutions to Old Problems - A past and present overview of Australia's pest animal problems
Education and training
The Invasive Animals CRC has developed or supports a number of education and training initiatives. These range from curriculum-based teacher resources and interactive online lesson plans for primary and secondary school students to formal qualifications in wildlife management and invasive animal control at Graduate Certificate and Diploma course level.
- Updated National Training Qualifications for Vertebrate Pest Managers in Australia - This paper explains the motivation behind Australia’s qualifications and training review and how the industry proposes to overcome some of the problems with current training programs
- Primary & Secondary School resources - Feral Focus provides teachers with a web based education resource which explains the characteristics of pest animals and the complexities of dealing with them in Australia. This resource has been […]
- Scoping Study: Training and Capacity Building in Vertebrate Pest Management - Scoping study into past and present pest animal training and capacity building.
- Wild dog trapping in the woodlands of pastoral Queensland - Video series demonstrating methods and equipment used in wild dog trapping in and around the Toowoomba region, Queensland.
- Wild dog trapping in the northern tablelands of NSW - Video series demonstrating methods and equipment used in wild dog trapping in and around the Tenterfield region, Northern Tablelands NSW
- Importance of rabbit biological control to livestock producers - Cameron Allan from Meat & Livestock Australia (MLA) talks about how important the investment in rabbit biological controls has been for the livestock industry.
- Historical and current impacts of rabbits – a farmers perspective - David Lord discusses the historical and current impacts of rabbits on farms, how important it is to act and how rabbit biological controls have played an important role.
- Community led integrated rabbit management - Michael Reid, National Rabbit Facilitator, talks about the importance of community-led integrated rabbit management to protect productive landscapes.
- Genetic resistance, immunity and transmission of rabbit biocontrol - Video about genetic resistance, immunity and transmission associated with rabbit biological control in Australia
- Rabbit haemorrhagic disease (RHD) boost project - Video about the potential in Australia of a new strain of RHD (rabbit haemorrhagic disease) virus, otherwise known as calicivirus, to manage rabbit populations.
- Baiting with a baitlayer for rabbit control - Video discussing and demonstrating a baiting program for rabbit control
- Fumigation with carbon monoxide for rabbit control - Video on the development of a carbon monoxide fumigation unit for rabbit control.
- Fumigation with phostoxin for rabbit control - Video demonstrating the process of fumigation with phostoxin for rabbit control. Aspects such as equipment needed and process are covered.