Policies and best practice guidelines
See Policies, agencies and programs page
Decision support tool for the management of freshwater fish incursions: free tool to assist managers maximize the speed of response to an incursion once this has been confirmed.
Eradications of vertebrate pests in Australia: review of vertebrate pest eradication attempts in Australia and guidelines for future best practice.
- national maps of established and emerging (deer, starlings, and foxes in Tasmania) species: http://www.pestsmart.org.au/pestmaps/
- FeralScan maps (from community data) of camels, cane toads, Indian myna, feral pigs, foxes and rabbits: http://www.feralscan.org.au/
- predictive maps of pests under climate change
- foxes in Tasmania – Saunders et al (2006)
- Assessing invasive animals in Australia – National Land & Water Resources Audit report (2008)
- ‘Search and detection – theory and application in disease and wildlife management’ (workshop proceedings). New Zealand Journal of Ecology (2011) 35:131
- Infra-red cameras
- Detection using infrared digital cameras. Claridge, Paull and Barry (2010) Australian Mammalogy 32:165–171.
- sniffer dogs
- Judas animals
Case studies – Australia
- foxes in Tasmania: Incursion report – Saunders et al (2006)
- fox evidence update (DPIW Tasmania): www.dpipwe.tas.gov.au/fox
- public perceptions – Fisher et al (2011), Australian Zoologist 35(3):576-589.
- red-eared slider turtles
- feral goats on Kangaroo Island – Markopoulos et al (2009)
- ducks on Lord Howe Island – Tracey and Lukins (2008)
- Canada geese in NSW – Dawes (2008)
- starlings in Western Australia – ACIL Tasman Pty Ltd (2006)
- myna birds in Canberra
Case studies – international
- ‘Turning the Tide’: eradication of invasive species (conference proceedings): http://www.hear.org/articles/turningthetide/turningthetide.pdf
- invasive rats on tropical islands – Varnham (2010)
- operational plan for eradication of rats, mice and rabbits from New Zealand islands – Dept Conservation (2008)
- feral cats on islands – Nogale et al (2004)
- eradications on islands – Global Island Invasive Vertebrate Eradication Database: http://www.islandconservation.org/tools/?id=63
- Judas deer – Management of new deer populations in New Zealand. Fraser et al (2003)
- rabbit eradications on islands (workshop proceedings) – Murphy et al (2010)